The focus of the research within the member consortium is on the influence of alloying elements, impurities, processing conditions and atmosphere, on microstructure and properties of powder materials. Experimental facilities include production of gas atomised powders (10kg), studies of metallic powders, powder compaction and studies of material produced from metal powder.
- Improved powder metallurgical materials with low oxygen contents: mechanism studies and powder production (10kg).
- Compaction of materials by Hot Isostatic Pressing (HIP).
- Sintering studies of Fe-based powder materials.
- Powder handling and segregation studies.
- Gas atomiser for batches of 10kg metal powder, equiped with oxygen probe, and high speed imaging.
- Hot Isostatic Press (mini HIP): dimensions 260mm/130mm, 25kg, 2000°C, 2000bar.
- Sintering furnaces with gas analysis.
- Gas control for oxide reduction studies on metal powder.
- Reduction of surface oxides using Photo Acoustic Spectroscopy (PAS).
- Particle size analyser (Laser Diffraction).