Swerea IVF works with applied research into the design and preparation of forged components. Several projects focus on simulating the effect of manufacturing on the component's properties, such as residual stress, hardness, strength and form. We can help companies to incorporate virtual methods and be a sounding board for the development of forged components.
Forged components undergo several manufacturing steps from raw materials to finished product and standard sections include rolling, forging, heat treatment, machining and surface treatment. The production chain affects properties such as strength and shape accuracy, but also machinability and hardenability, and it is important to gain an understanding of how different processes affect the quality of the component. This creates conditions for the optimal choice of materials and processes and robust dimensioned components.
Swerea IVF works with applied research on methods and models for simulating individual processes such as forging, heat treatment, machining, mechanical surface treatment and direction.
Examples of our areas of activity:
- Simulation of forging to assess filling ratio, shape accuracy and positioning of core materials. The latter may be a support for the analysis of critical zones during surface hardening and machining/drilling and thus the analysis of quality problems.
- Simulating quenching after forging
- Simulation of heat treatment
- Methods and models for predicting residual stresses after pressure rolling and shot peening/blasting
- Analysis of clamping forces from fixtures and their impact on shape accuracy after machining
- Simulating straightening
- Methods for simulation of manufacturing sequences.
Swerea IVF has experience with software such as Forge and Deform for simulating forging, Sysweld for simulating heat treatment and LS-Dyna for simulating external influencing processes. Through its different projects, Swerea IVF has also developed software for dimensioning against fatigue (SAFE) and software for transferring data between different simulation software (C6t2).