Ecodesign is needed for competitiveness in a sustainable society! Customers, as well as society, are placing ever increasing demands on products to be environmentally friendly. Ecodesign/environmentally friendly product development is therefore increasingly important for most companies. Swerea IVF has a great deal of experience of ecodesign, through a number of company commissions as well as through research projects where we have developed the process.
Maximum use with minimal environmental impact
Designing products that give maximum use with minimal environmental impact is central to ecodesign. A good knowledge of the product's environmental impact in a life-cycle perspective (raw materials, manufacture, use, waste management and transport), as well as of how to work with product development is necessary in order to do this. The focus is on making sure that the product will do its job and that it is of use.
Swerea IVF has worked with developing and implementing methods and tools for ecodesign since the mid 1990s. Many of the projects carried out have been aimed at finding processes, tools and working methods for companies, both large and small, to work with ecodesign. Correctly implemented, ecodesign often results in products that are cheaper to manufacture, since the requirement of materials and energy is decreased . Correctly implemented ecodesign also means that the products are more attractive to customers!
Our strength is our colleagues!
One of Swerea IVF's greatest strengths in the work on ecodesign is excellent contact with other experts. When we carry out LCA and develop products and processes, we get help from our colleagues who have a great deal of knowledge about different materials, manufacturing processes and products, which means that we can ensure that the products are of good quality and function, whilst also having a minimum environmental impact.
What can we help companies with in the area of ecodesign?
- Analyse a product, for example using LCA (see the link to LCA)
- Generate ideas and design products that are better from an environmental viewpoint
- Create guidelines for ecodesign
- Create the basis for marketing good environmental solutions
- Increased knowledge of legislation in the area
- Produce environmental declarations (see the link to environmental declarations)
- Hold training sessions, especially company specific, in ecodesign
- Learn more and collect important contacts via the network for environmentally friendly product development (see the link for the network)
Examples of experiences
- Responsibility for a study of computers and computer screens within the Ecodesign Directive, carried out under commission from the EU
- Supporting the Swedish Energy Agency with studies on the consequences of different product requirements on companies
- Many projects, domestic as well as international, where a number of different tools and processes for ecodesign have been tried in a number of companies
- Company specific training for a large number of companies
- Implementing ecodesign and developing products that are better from an environmental point of view in a number of companies